IBM provides a very powerful IBM Java for Linux. I will give the details on how to install it on Ubuntu version 16.04 (Xenial) on the ppc64el platform.
- Download the binary from the developerWorks page.
- Once you download it, give execution permission to the binary, as:
- Choose the language you wish, and then the license will be shown to you, as:
- Read the license, and if you agree, press 1.
- You will be able to select in which directory IBM Java will be installed, as:
- In this case, I just pressed <Enter> to use the default path.
- Once you press <Enter>, the process starts. Once the process finish, you press <Enter> to exit the installer, as showed:
- After that you can load IBM Java from /opt/ibm/java-ppc64el-80/bin/java.
You can have both OpenJDK and IBM Java installed on you system, if you want to have both, as showed:
I tested these steps on both Ubuntu 15.04 and 16.04.